‘National Parks Adventure’ Integrated Marketing Program
On Aug. 25, the National Parks Service celebrated its first centennial of stewardship for America's national parks. One of the ways the parks service called attention to this anniversary was with the release of “National Parks Adventure,” a film by MacGillivray Freeman that is showing in IMAX theaters across the U.S. and in several international destinations. Arizona boasts 22 national parks and monuments—more than all but two states—and AOT recognized this movie event as an opportunity to promote our national parks to an audience predisposed to visit them.
According to research by MacGillivray Freeman, 80 percent of “National Parks Adventure” viewers reported they were more inspired to visit a national park after seeing the film. Our strategic partnership with MacGillivray Freeman allowed us to promote Arizona in AOT target markets where the film would be shown. This marketing program included a media buy and the integration of a booking engine, both of which we executed by bringing Expedia on board. The program included:
• A media buy with Expedia in three of our target markets: Seattle, Minneapolis, San Francisco.
• Email blasts in target markets to Expedia, AOT and science-center databases.
• A custom landing page on Expedia with a trip giveaway in each market.
• Social-media posts.
• Consumer activations at the Science Museum of Minnesota, San Jose Tech Museum of Innovation, and Pacific Science Center. (Featuring a photo booth, park ranger interaction, 90-second trailer before film, trip giveaways and trip-planning collateral.)
• A trade and media event at the California Science Center, where travel agents, tour operators and travel journalists enjoyed free admission to the film.
MacGillivray Freeman brought us additional marketing opportunities, which included sponsoring the film in AMC locations in Anaheim (at Downtown Disney) and San Francisco (at AMC Metreon). This program included distribution of free tickets as well as consumer activations at both locations.
Early results from Expedia (July-August 2016):
• Nearly 9,000 total entries to win trips
• 18,000 unique visitors to VisitArizona.com
• 33,000 page views
• Average time spent on site – 2:02
• YOY passengers booked up 9%
• YOY booked room nights up 15%
• YOY hotel gross bookings up 20%
• Campaign ad impressions – 4.9 million